Your fostering journey will take approximately 4/5 months, from when you first fill in the enquiry form to when are an approved Foster Carer with Aim High. The steps throughout the process are quite straightforward and we will support you every step of the way.
- Enquiry – The first thing to do is fill in our online enquiry form.
- Informal chat – A member of Aim High will then call you for a chat and may arrange a visit to your home.
- Initial visit – This will give everyone the chance to meet and ask questions and decide whether fostering is right for you.
- Form F Assessment – The next step will be to introduce you an Independent Social Worker who will start an assessment with you called a Form F Assessment. This assessment takes approximately 4 months to complete and focuses on your childhood, adulthood, and family life experiences. Your family are also included in this Assessment as their views are important and ensures that everyone in the household is on board.Training – all applicants will need to complete the Skills to Foster training during the early stages of Assessment. This is completed over 2-3 days and focuses on the fostering task and skills needed to fully meet a child’s needs. Checks – all applicants and adults living in the family home are required to have certain standard checks completed. This will be explained to you and only carried out with your consent and knowledge. We look to recruit carers from all walks of life and having a ‘past’ should not defer you from applying.
- Completed Assessment – Once the Form F Assessment has been completed and we have received all the relevant checks / references, it is sent to an Independent Fostering Panel (approximately 5/6 Panel Members) who will read it and prepare some questions to ask you and your Assessor at Panel.
- Panel – You and your Form F Assessor will be invited to attend Panel. Panel sounds daunting, but please be rest assured, we will prepare you and support you throughout. At the end of your Panel meeting, you will be informed by the Panel Chair of Panel’s recommendation to approve you as a Foster Carer or otherwise. You will then be sent a formal letter from the Agency’s Decision Maker confirming your approval as a Foster Carer.